The Oscars Are Going Mostly Meatless

Hollywood is looking greener all the time.

927288148

927288148

Photo by: Handout/Getty Images

Handout/Getty Images

The Golden Globes are seen by some, if not all, as predictive of the Academy Awards. And while we won’t find out if that theory holds true in the major (and other) categories this year until the Oscars ceremony on Sunday, February 9, we now know that, at least as far as food is concerned, as the Golden Globes go so too are going the Oscars.

Mere weeks after the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, citing concerns for the planet, made a last-minute move to switch out menu items like Chilean sea bass for vegan-friendly dishes like king oyster mushroom “scallops” to serve the gathered A-listers a 100% plant-based dinner at the 77th annual Golden Globe Awards, turning it into the first major awards show to go full-on meat-free, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced a similar plan for the 92nd Academy Awards.

On Monday, the Academy said it would serve a completely plant-based meal at the Oscar Nominees Luncheon held that day at Hollywood’s Ray Dolby Ballroom. (You can watch the entire class of this year’s nominees gather for their big class photo – and actress Illeana Douglas crack a joke about the vegan meal -- here.) The food offered in the lobbies of the Dolby Theatre prior to the Oscars ceremony, too, will be entirely devoid of meat, the Academy said.

At the post-ceremony Governors Ball, though, while 100 percent of the food served will be responsibly sourced and sustainably farmed, only 70 percent of the menu will be vegan; the remaining 30 percent of the food served will include fish, meat, dairy and eggs, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

“The Academy is an organization of storytellers from around the world, and we owe our global membership a commitment to supporting the planet,” the Academy said in a statement to the press. “For the past decade, the Academy has been committed to reducing its carbon footprint. For the past seven years, the Oscars show has had a zero-carbon imprint. We continue to expand our sustainability plan with the ultimate goal of becoming carbon neutral.”

The planet would like to thank the Academy ….

Photo: GettyImages

Related Content:

Next Up

Summer Fest: Going Meatless With Eggplant

The eggplant's hearty and full-bodied texture makes it a perfect substitute for meat and seafood, like in these classic dishes.

If You Can't Attend the Oscars on Sunday, Eat Like You're a Celebrity Anyway

The next best thing to attending Sunday's Oscars awards is indulging in Food Network's starworthy menu of elegant (but surprisingly easy) eats and drinks.

New Year's Resolution: Go Meatless on Mondays

Start the New Year on a healthful note by cooking up Food Network's favorite meatless entrees, and check back each Monday to find more simple vegetarian meals.

Go Green (Beans) for St. Patrick's Day — Meatless Monday

Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with Food Network Magazine's Green Bean and Egg Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing, a green-themed dish in honor of the holiday.

Guess What People Say Is the Most-Stressful Part of Going Out to Eat

No, not picking a restaurant (or maybe even paying for it)...