Now, Everyone's Into Cloud Bread
The vibrant, pillowy loaves are all over TikTok.
Oh, TikTok, you give and you give. The latest in a long line of culinary trends to rubberneck (or maybe even really try) on the platform — following everything from dalgona coffee to five-ingredient cookies, pancake cereal to froggy bread: something called cloud bread.
It’s all over the app, and consistent with other viral TikTok food sensations, looks pretty easy to make:
- You need only three ingredients, and you’re pretty likely to have them all in your fridge or pantry: egg whites (whipped with an electric mixer until frothy), sugar and cornstarch.
- Some TikTok users also add food coloring (blue, red, blue and red) and flavoring, such as vanilla, or even cookie crumbs or sugar sprinkles, for an enhanced visual and flavor experience. (Although taste may not be terribly relevant to cloud bread’s appeal.)
- Whip the ingredients together until stiff peaks form.
- Form the mixture — on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper — into a round loaf shape or dome or whatever other shape you're into.
- Bake in the oven at 300 degrees F for about 25 minutes.
- Remove, break open your fluffy creation, and show everyone you know.
Yeah, despite its name, cloud bread, in its current TikTok incarnation (not to be confused with the Atkins diet recipe from the ‘70s), is more like a meringue than a bread. And if we’re being honest, it doesn’t look like it would make the most satisfying lunch. For that, try this Focaccia Cloud Bread recipe, which is light, puffy, protein-rich and gluten-free — and doesn’t leave those egg yolks hanging. Plus it’s a great way to put to use the basil and tomatoes you’re growing in your garden right now. Heavenly!