Essential Picnic Checklist
Follow this outdoor dining checklist and you'll be the best-prepared picnicker at the beach or park.
For Toting and Seating:
- Picnic basket or canvas bag
- Picnic blanket (preferably waterproof on the bottom)
- Picnic chairs (if anyone in your group is not happy on the ground)
- Portable picnic table (if that's the kind of picnic you're having!)
- Utensils (including serving utensils)
- Drinks (including lots of water)
- Bottle opener
- Cutting board (also useful as a level serving surface, perfect for drinks)
- Sharp knife (even if you don't plan to cut things, it's still a good idea)
- Salt and pepper
- Mustard, mayo, ketchup, etc., if needed (a great way to make use of extra packets from a takeout place)
- Paper towels (and maybe wet wipes)
- A couple of dishtowels (always handy, and useful to buffer and support dishes in transport)
- Extra plastic containers or sturdy zipper-top bags for packing up dirty utensils, leftovers, etc.
- Trash bags
- Insect repellent
- Flashlight (if you plan to be out into the evening hours)
- Sport or activity equipment (Frisbees, balls, bubbles, water guns ... whatever the crowd likes)
With this handy chart, quickly whip up refreshing sips all season long.
Cooling drink recipes, plus tips for making the best cocktails
Coffee snobs will approve of this cold-brewed version from Food Network Magazine.
Know a cobbler from a crisp and a buckle from a Betty.
Food scientists think they've found a way to extend the life of fresh produce: Shock it in warm water.
Keep your food and family safe all summer long by following these simple tips.
Pesto isn't just exclusive to basil anymore (or pricey pine nuts either); the summer staple can be made with really any green, and you can get even more creative by using sun-dried tomatoes and more unconventional picks.
Plump and juicy tomatoes aren't just a summertime seduction, they've got nutrition credentials as well.
How you pick and store summer fruits can mean the difference between mealy disappointment and juicy perfection.
The Top Picnic Mistakes to Avoid, and How to Fix Them If They Happen, Plus Boozy Bubbles to Pack in the Basket
Plan the perfect summer outing with The Picnic, written by the masterminds behind the Portland Picnic Society.