The USDA's MyPlate was designed to illustrate what a healthy plate looks like -- a way realistic way to help Americans build healthy meals. The guidelines recommend filling half of your plate with fruits and vegetables, 1/4 with grains and 1/4 with protein. A cup of milk on the side reminds folks to drink low-fat or nonfat milk or have a cup of yogurt each day.
Along with MyPlate, the USDA offers 7 eat-better messages based on studies and observations of the American diet:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and veggies.
- Make at least half your grains whole.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1 percent) milk
- Compare sodium in foods and choose those with the lowest numbers.
- Choose water over sugary drinks.
Choose from our MyPlate-inspired recipes to help make dinner at home easy, healthy and satisfying.
MyPlate-Inspired Breakfast Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Beef Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Chicken Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Fish Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Pasta Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Pork Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Side Dish Recipes:
MyPlate-Inspired Vegetarian Recipes:
Find more MyPlate-approved recipes on our Pinterest boards.