50 Holiday Drinks
Get in the spirit with cocktails, punch, cocoa and more.
1. Hot Dulce de Leche Heat 2 cups milk and 1/2 cup dulce de leche in a saucepan, whisking until frothy. Add a shot of rum, if desired. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
2. Mulled Hibiscus Punch Simmer 2 cups dried hibiscus, 8 cups water, 1 cup sugar, 6 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a dash of nutmeg in a saucepan, 30 minutes. Strain. Serve with cinnamon sticks.
3. Hot Buttered Rum Mix 4 tablespoons softened butter with 1/2 teaspoon each vanilla, cinnamon and allspice and a pinch of nutmeg. Heat 1/2 cup pineapple juice in a mug; stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 ounce rum. Top with a pat of the spiced butter.
4. Classic Hot Cocoa Whisk 1/2 cup each boiling water and sugar and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder in a saucepan. Stir in 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and heat through. Top with whipped cream and chopped chocolate.
5. Spanish Hot Chocolate Gently heat 3 ounces finely chopped dark chocolate with 1/4 cup water in a saucepan, stirring until melted. Gradually stir in 3/4 cup milk and 2 teaspoons sugar; heat through. Top with whipped cream.
6. Mexican Hot Chocolate Heat 1 disk (about 3 ounces) chopped Mexican chocolate in a saucepan with 1/4 cup water until melted. Gradually add 3/4 cup milk, whisking until frothy. Add 1 1/2 ounces chocolate liqueur, if desired. Sprinkle with chili powder.
7. Sugar-and-Spice Hot Cocoa Make Classic Hot Cocoa (No. 4), but sweeten the whipped cream with brown sugar. Dust with ground cardamom.
8. Hazelnut Hot Chocolate Heat 1/4 cup milk and 3 tablespoons Nutella in a saucepan, whisking. Add 1 cup milk and whisk until frothy. Top with whipped cream and hazelnuts.
9. Coconut-Almond Cocoa Heat 2 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate, 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons sugar in a saucepan, whisking. Top with whipped cream, coconut, and chopped almonds.
10. Maple Chai Bring 2 cups milk just to a boil; add 2 chai tea bags and steep 10 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup maple syrup.
11. White Chocolate Chai Heat 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 2 ounces chopped white chocolate and 1 teaspoon chai spice blend in a saucepan, whisking. Top with whipped cream and chai spice.
12. Hot Tea Toddy Steep 1 tea bag and 1 star anise pod in 3/4 cup hot water, 5 minutes. Add 1 ounce brandy, 2 teaspoons honey, some lemon juice and 1 cinnamon stick.
13. Hot Gingerman Steep 1 tablespoon grated ginger in 1 cup hot water, 15 minutes. Add a shot of bourbon and garnish with a lemon wedge.
14. Classic Eggnog Heat 1 quart each milk and heavy cream with 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a saucepan. Beat 12 egg yolks with 1 cup sugar; add to the milk mixture and cook, whisking, until thick. Beat 12 egg whites until stiff peaks form, then beat in 1/3 cup sugar. Whisk into the hot yolk mixture. Chill.
15. Boozy Eggnog Make Classic Eggnog (No. 14) and top with a shot of bourbon or rum.
16. French Vanilla Eggnog Whisk 3 cups milk, 6 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon nutmeg in a pitcher or punch bowl; whisk in 4 ounces each brandy and rum, 2 ounces crème de cacao and 3 cups melted French vanilla ice cream.
17. Coconut Nog Blend 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup milk, 4 ounces rum and a pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Pour into a pitcher; chill.
18. Apple Pie Nog Mix 1/2 cup each melted vanilla ice cream and apple juice in a glass; add a pinch each of ground cinnamon and allspice. Add apple brandy, if desired. Dust with cinnamon.
19. Pistachio Slush Puree 1/4 cup pistachios, 1/2 cup each water and milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt in a blender with 3/4 cup ice until smooth and foamy. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
20. Apple-Pear Punch Simmer 3 cups each apple cider and pear nectar, 2 cinnamon sticks and 1/2 teaspoon each whole allspice and cloves in a saucepan, 5 minutes. Chill, then strain into a punch bowl of ice. Add 1 bottle sparkling cider.
21. Campari Fizz Punch Mix 1 cup each Campari, gin and sweet vermouth, 2 bottles prosecco and 1/2 cup grenadine in a punch bowl. Garnish with orange slices.
22. Pink Grapefruit Punch Bring 1 cup each sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan with 6 cinnamon sticks. Mix with 4 cups each pink grapefruit juice and seltzer in a punch bowl. Serve over ice. Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
23. Italian Christmas Punch Mix equal parts herbal liqueur (such as Strega), gin and orange juice in a pitcher. Serve over ice; top with a splash of lemon-lime soda. Garnish with orange slices.
24. Black Tea Punch Remove the zest from 6 lemons in strips; muddle with 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar in a pitcher. Add 2 cups each brewed black tea, dark rum, cognac and ruby port, and 1/2 cup each triple sec and ginger liqueur. Chill. Serve over ice; top with seltzer and a lemon slice.
25. Shirley Temple Punch Mix 5 cups ginger ale, 2 cups orange juice and 1/2 cup grenadine in a punch bowl. Add sliced oranges and maraschino cherries. Serve over ice.
26. White Wine Wassail Boil 1/2 cup each water and sugar in a saucepan with 1 sliced orange half, 1 sliced lemon half, a 1-inch piece sliced peeled ginger, 5 cardamom pods, 5 black peppercorns and 1 cinnamon stick. Add 2 bottles white wine and the juice from the remaining citrus halves; heat.
27. Mulled Red Wine Heat 3/4 cup each sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Off the heat, add 2 strips lemon zest, 10 black peppercorns, 3 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 cup each orange liqueur and gin and 1 bottle red wine. Steep 5 minutes.
28. White Russian Shakes Puree 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup each vodka and coffee liqueur and 2 tablespoons brewed espresso in a blender.
29. Gingersnap Shakes Soak 8 crushed gingersnaps in 1 cup milk in a blender. Add 2 cups vanilla ice cream, 4 teaspoons molasses and 2 teaspoons ground ginger; blend. Pour into glasses and top with crushed gingersnaps.
30. Peppermint Shakes Puree 1/2 pint each vanilla and mint chip ice cream with 1 cup milk in a blender. Pour into glasses and garnish with peppermint sticks. Add a shot of peppermint schnapps, if desired.
31. Sugar Plum Soda Moisten the rim of a glass and dip it in cinnamon-sugar. Mix 1 cup plum juice, 1/2 cup ginger ale and 2 pieces chopped crystallized ginger; pour into the glass. Garnish with skewered cranberries.
32. Port Manhattan Shake 2 ounces whiskey, 2 ounces tawny port and 3 dashes orange bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a glass and garnish with a lemon twist.
33. Mochaccino Cocktail Combine 1/2 cup strong-brewed hot coffee and 1/4 cup each warmed vanilla vodka, chocolate liqueur and half-and-half in a glass. Top with whipped cream.
34. Peppermint Stripe Pour 1/2 ounce crème de cacao into a shooter glass. Pour in 1/2 ounce crème de menthe over the back of a spoon to form a separate layer. Top with 1/2 ounce Irish cream liqueur in the same manner.
35. Sherry Fruitcake Shots Plump 3 tablespoons raisins in 1/2 cup warmed sherry; cool. Pour into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and add 6 shakes orange bitters. Shake well, then strain into shot glasses. Add a splash of lemon-lime soda; garnish with the raisins.
36. Apple-Ginger Spritzers Peel and slice a 6-inch piece of ginger. Simmer 1 cup each water and ginger ale in a saucepan with the ginger until reduced by half. Strain and chill. Mix the ginger syrup with 2 cups sparkling cider and 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger. Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with cinnamon sticks.
37. Manischewitz Cocktail Combine 4 ounces each vodka and Manischewitz and the juice of 1 lime; pour over ice. Garnish with a sugared grape.
38. Sweet Green Tea In a cocktail shaker, shake 3/4 cup strong-brewed green tea, 1/4 cup evaporated milk and 1 tablespoon sugar with ice until frothy. Pour into a glass.
39. Cranberry Margarita Simmer 3 cups fresh cranberries in a saucepan with 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water until they burst. Strain, reserving the syrup. Shake 3 tablespoons each cranberry syrup and tequila and 2 tablespoons each triple sec and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour into a glass.
40. Hibiscus Margarita Shake 3 tablespoons each hibiscus tea and tequila, 2 tablespoons each triple sec and lime juice, and 1 teaspoon sugar in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a glass.
41. Kir Royale Pour 1/2 ounce crème de cassis into a flute. Top with champagne and garnish with a lemon twist.
42. Sparkling Port Pour 1 ounce tawny port into a flute and top with champagne.
43. Kumquat Saketini Shake 4 ounces sake and 2 teaspoons syrup from a jar of kumquats (or a can of mandarin oranges) in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a martini glass; drop in a kumquat.
44. Champagne Cocktail Saturate a sugar cube with bitters and drop into a flute. Top with champagne.
45. Old Bay Bloody Mary Moisten the rim of a glass; dip in Old Bay Seasoning. Fill with ice. Add 1 1/2 cups tomato juice, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon each hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay and horseradish, and 1 1/2 ounces vodka; stir.
46. Bloody Bull Mix 3/4 cup tomato juice, 1/3 cup beef broth, 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and hot sauce, a pinch of celery salt and 1 1/2 ounces vodka. Pour into an ice-filled glass; garnish with lemon.
47. Brandy Slushes Bring 1 cup each water and sugar to a boil; cool completely. Mix with 1 1/2 cups brandy, 2 cups orange juice and 1/2 cup lemon juice in a baking dish; freeze until slushy. Scoop into glasses, top with seltzer and stir to desired slushiness.
48. Black Forest Beer Pour 1 bottle chilled lager into a glass. Stir in 2 tablespoons sour cherry preserves, 2 teaspoons kirsch liqueur and a splash of grenadine.
49. Stout Float Put 1 scoop each chocolate and vanilla ice cream in a frosty beer mug and top with cold Guinness.
50. Stout Flip Shake 4 ounces stout beer, 2 ounces dark rum, 1 egg and 2 teaspoons simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a glass.
Whisk 1/2 cup each boiling water and sugar and 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder in a saucepan. Stir in 1-1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and heat through. Top with whipped cream sweetened with brown sugar and chopped chocolate. Dust with ground cardamom.
Apple Ginger Spritzers
Peel and slice a 6-inch piece of ginger. Simmer 1 cup each water and ginger ale in a saucepan with the ginger until reduced by half. Strain and chill. Mix the ginger syrup with 2 cups sparkling cider and 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger. Pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with cinnamon sticks.