Mix-and-Match Brunch Casserole
Customize this favorite for your guests: It's a foolproof crowd-pleaser.
1. Choose Your Bread
Cut bread into 1-inch cubes to make 6 cups. (Day-old bread works best.)
- Country white
- Semolina, crusts removed
- Sourdough, crusts removed
- Hot dog buns
- Potato bread
2. Prep Your Cheese
Shred or crumble 2 cups total.
- Monterey Jack
- Pepper Jack
- Goat cheese
3. Pick Your Veggies
Prepare 1 1/2 to 3 cups total.
- Onions, sliced and caramelized
- Plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Zucchini, chopped and sauteed
- Butternut squash, peeled, chopped and roasted
- Broccoli florets, blanched and chopped
- Frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sauteed
- Bell peppers, chopped and sauteed
- Kale or spinach, chopped and sauteed
- Mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
4. Choose Your Meat (Optional)
Prepare 1 to 1 1/2 cups (choose 1).
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Ham, diced
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Kielbasa, diced and sauteed
5. Make the Custard
Whisk 10 eggs in a large bowl with 3 cups half-and-half and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt. Whisk in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of any of the following:
- Grated Parmesan
- Canned green chiles, drained and diced
- Olives, chopped and patted dry
- Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped and patted dry
- Herbs (basil, chives, cilantro and/or parsley), chopped
- Scallions, chopped
6. Bake the Casserole
Scatter half of the bread in a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups cheese, then add the vegetables, meat and remaining bread. Pour the custard on top; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight (bring to room temperature before baking). Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until slightly puffed and just set, 40 to 50 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Photograph by Kana Okada
Our Most Flexible Recipes 43 Photos
We created the perfect formula for making all of your favorite dishes completely one-of-a-kind.