Pullman pan

A long and narrow (about 13 by 4 by 4 inches) loaf pan with a cover that slides on. It's used specifically for baking bread (called a pullman loaf or pain de mie). Because the bread bakes in a confined space, the texture is firm and fine and the crust soft, both of which make it perfect for canapés, melba toast and the like. The word "pullman" describes something long and narrow in design (as in the railroad Pullman car, or the luggage called the Pullman case), and is so named after George Mortimer Pullman, 19th century American industrialist and inventor. See also cookware and bakeware materials.

From The Food Lover's Companion, Fourth edition by Sharon Tyler Herbst and Ron Herbst. Copyright © 2007, 2001, 1995, 1990 by Barron's Educational Series, Inc.

Keep Reading