Holiday Cocktail Party: Deck the Trees
Jason DeCrow, © 2016, Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
You will need:
- Sticky adhesive clips
- Ornaments in a variety of shapes and sizes
- Star ornament
- At a blank section of wall and starting at arm's length (as high as you can reach), make 3 vertical dots down the wall with a pencil (approximately 5 inches apart). This will be the top of your tree where you will eventually put a star topper.
- Hold a ruler horizontally against the wall below the vertical dots and make 3 dots (approximately 5 inches apart).
- Repeat step 2 a few inches beneath the 3 dots you just made; these rows will become the top few branches of your tree.
- Hold the ruler horizontally against the wall and make 6 dots (approximately 3 to 4 inches apart) below the rows you've already made. Smaller ornaments will go here.
- Repeat step 4 a few inches under the dots you just made; this will be the larger, wider part of your tree.
- Continue this process until a tree shape is formed. Make sure your horizontal lines are different lengths from top to bottom to create a full tree outline.
- Place sticky adhesive hooks on the dots you've made (we recommend 3M products).
- Hang various ornaments on the hooks, finishing with a star on top! Use a variety of ornaments for a one-of-a-kind tree.
Holiday Card Tree
You will need:
- Craft paper
- Large square of chicken wire
- Work gloves
- Tin snips
- Spray paint in desired holiday color
- Wreath for base of tree
- Tree topper
- Various holiday cards
- Mini clothes pins
- Cut a large pie shape with a rounded edge (where the crust would be) out of craft paper.
- Place the craft paper outline on top of a square piece of chicken wire.
- Put on work gloves and use tin snips to cut the chicken wire around the rounded edge (aka, the crust) of the craft paper outline. You should now have a piece of chicken wire identical to the craft paper outline.
- Bend the edges of the chicken wire together to create a cone shape. Secure together by bending the pointed edges of the chicken wire over the other side.
- Spray paint the tree any holiday color (we used gold) and let dry.
- Put the chicken wire cone into a wreath as a base.
- Put a tree topper on top of the chicken wire.
- Begin clipping your holiday cards to the tree with mini clothes pins.
Party Favor Tree
You will need:
- Small spoon
- Hot chocolate mix
- Food-safe clear ornament bulbs
- Mini marshmallow bits
- Mini chocolate chips
- Crushed-up candy canes
- Edible glitter
- Gold paint pen
- Small artificial or real tree (around 36 inches)
- Using a spoon and a funnel, scoop hot chocolate mix into the bottom of each ornament.
- Funnel in a layer of mini marshmallow bits.
- Funnel in a layer of mini chocolate chips.
- Funnel in a layer of crushed-up candy canes and/or sprinkles.
- Sprinkle edible glitter on top. Your ornaments should be full now!
- Write the names of your guests on the ornaments using a gold paint pen and hang them on the tree. Your guests can take them home at the end of the party!